Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Travels In Britain Part: 1. Hay-On-Wye

I am writing this sitting outside the Cinema Bookshop in Hay and Wye, ‘Town of Books’, Wales. Despite the early start it feels great to be away. For anyone who hasn’t visited this truly eccentric town on the border of England and Wales, I would encourage you to do so. Host to the annual Hay Literary Festival, there are around 32 bookshops stocking publications on every subject you can imagine.

During my last visit here I found a great little guide to organic wine., and today I have picked up a fantastic book ‘An Agricultural Testament’ by Sir Albert Howard. It was first published in 1940 and is probably the earliest publication relating to organic agriculture I have come across. I’ve just finished the introduction, It paints an idyllic picture of the way that Mother Nature has created the perfect agricultural environment. Where plants and creatures of all species can live together, each contributing to the system, creating no waste, giving back what they have taken as they die and become one with the soil. It then takes us through ancient farming methods, describing in detail the tiered fields of the Inca’s, the fall of the Roman small holding system and the continuing agricultural practices of the Orient. I can’t wait to read the rest.

I have also managed to pick up one or two organic foods for tasting including a local Welsh jam. I will review anything I pick up on this trip over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment